Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chinese custom

Chinese literary master Ba Jin (Courtesy of google :D)
My boss's father died recently (my condolences to him and the photo is not his) and I went to the wake. It was my first time to go to a Chinese wake so I did not know what to do. What was the custom? What color of clothing should I wear? I was like a student cramming the day before the exams : P.
I called my Chinese friends while on the way to find out what was the right thing to do. Out of the 3 Chinese guys I was able to contact they told me the same 3 things:

1. Do not wear clothes of striking color especially red.
2. Be careful with what you say. Avoid words like "till next time", "see you again"...(I never really gave a thought about this.)
3. Bring cash with you as it is customary to give a donation (I guess that is a common thing to Chinese events...hehe...I intend this to be funny not a criticism)

Upon arriving at the wake my boss ushered us to the front where a framed photo of the deceased is displayed with lighted white candle, gave us a burning joss stick (incense) and we were made to bow 3 times. That was to show the last respect to the dead. The custom just struck me right there and I could say this is better than the Filipino way!

Ahhh...what a world we live in. So much differences yet we find a way to co-exist. It is fun to be with people of different cultures... I mean Really FUN!

If you are to attend a Chinese funeral, make sure you do your homework! Try the links below to learn more about their funeral customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment